#SHOPWARLEY DAY….and what a great turn out!
Just ten days ago, we had the idea of a Shop Warley Day – asking local residents to support their local traders in the face of the imminent arrival of Tesco Warley Hill.
This was the turn out at 10.30 this morning for a quick photo – and we know a few friends had already been shopping locally!
County Cllr David Kendall, Cllr William Lloyd (Warley ward) and I had already had a scout around to find some unusual items that you won’t find in a Tesco Express – gingerbread cutters, bonnet peppers, a photo frame and some Onion Bhaji mix – just to make that very point!
Then, David, William and I set about shopping with a view to trying to buy something in all those stores who will be in competition with Tesco.
- The Emporium – Cookie Cutters
- Warley Newsagent – newspaper
- The Little Florist – bunch of roses
- The Essex Arms – Mugs of Tea for three
- AAC Electrical – Batteries
- Race News – Loaf of Bread
- Londis – pancake mix, lemon juice, peppers
- The Pet Shop – bird food
- Brentwood Market Stall – Popcorn, gravy powder, olives
- Brentwood Supermarket – Sweets and dog treats for Louis #BrentwoofWest dog
- Nico’s – chicken baguette (plus popped into ,my regular haunt Sushi City for a chat!)
Topped off with a visit to Tips at Raymond Bottone for my usual nail appointment!
I was really pleased to hear from Londis that they had had additional customers today and were delighted with this fun day of action. AAC Electrical told me that a mean who had lived in Clements Park for five years had shopped at Warley Hill for the first time ever as he usually just heads in to town!
So, I hope that made a difference today and will make local residents will do all they can to support local traders – although many do, today might have made a bit of a difference!
If you didn’t shop today, that makes it a good reason to get a takeaway tonight of course!
Thanks to my shopping buddies William and David for a fun shopping experience!